<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://doctorswives.org

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lives of Doctor Wives: Survivor Saturdays: Beware of Spring Cleaning

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Survivor Saturdays: Beware of Spring Cleaning

As you're starting to enjoy the nicer weather and planning about your spring cleaning projects, you may be considering packing up some items that don't seem important. I know when M & I were moving shortly after residency, I couldn't wait to get rid of all those medical books and that graduation hood that took up half our closet! After calling around, I found out that some High Schools and libraries were happy to take some of the books off our hands, even though they weren't the most current. The hood was another story.

I almost stuffed it into a give-away box, but decided M would be mad when he found out. He is very sentimental and keeps tons of items we'll never take out of a box. Still, it was his hood so I stuffed it into a box.

Years went by until one day he was invited to speak at a graduation ceremony. "Where is my hood?" he asked. My heart sank as I asked why it mattered. I have to wear it for the ceremony. That's why I kept it. Oh my goodness, was I ever glad I didn't get rid of it! I dug through every box until I found it, glad that I hadn't done something stupid and thrown it away.

Moral of the story... don't get rid of that thing. It's possible to buy a replacement, but not only will you pay through the nose, but it won't be exactly what your spouse had before. Some colleges will give the MD a honorary doctorate and a school hood, but don't count on it. Keep that baby where you can find it later.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger TheFamousStacie said...

huh... they just rented them out for Chad's. He better keep a low profile and never get asked to speak at a graduation!

March 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Melisa said...

Hmmm, so I should get Brad's out of the kids' dress up box?

March 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Timani said...

That's good to know!!! After graduation my husband wanted to get rid of his, so many students sell theirs to the class graduating the next year. I wanted him to keep it because we saw several MD parents hooding their MD children. Our oldest is 16 and wants to be a doc, so I really wanted him to keep it and didn't want to hunt one down in the future.

March 8, 2010 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger ClosewithKathi said...

They rent them now? That's not a bad idea if you're willing to dish out the big bucks if you need one later. I wonder if that's why some colleges give the honorary doctorate and robe... Thanks for sharing.

March 11, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home