<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://doctorswives.org

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lives of Doctor Wives: Is it only me?

Friday, March 27, 2009

Is it only me?

To give you a quick background, my husband switched from general surgery to ENT in October. It all happened very quickly and at the beginning of the housing crash. Needless to say, we haven't been able to sell our house. He has now been living in another state for nearly 6 months. Believe me, I will no longer complain about call weekends. ;o) We talk every day, but there are just some days... Here is the story:

It was a late night, and I got distracted, so it was nearly 11pm before I called Brad. I expected he'd be sleeping, seeing as surgeons are doing rounds by 5 am, and I'd leave a message apologizing for not calling him sooner. But it was nothing that I expected. A woman answered his phone. Our conversation went thus:

"Hello?"
"uhhhhh...." (I was in a bit of a shock that a woman answered the phone and my head was trying to come up with logical explanations)
"Hello? Hello? {Dr Mons, I think it is your wife.} He's in surgery, he'll have to call you back."
"uhhhhhhh..... thanks....."

I figured out what the situation was before she said something, but I confess to being momentarily stunned. It isn't every day that a woman answers your husband's phone. He wasn't even on call that night, so I didn't expect him in surgery at 11 pm. Naturally, I made sure that his phone was on his belt holder and not in a pocket, because then I'd have to chew him out. :o)Seriously, I can't be the only one this has happened to, can I?

I want to hear some good stories! They can't all be ER stories about SOCMOBs (standing on corner, minding own business). ER gets all the funny stuff. ;o)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger davita said...

No stories for me, but I hate that feeling. I have made it clear to E that I would rather his phone go to voicemail than some nurse answer it for him. I am surprised that some one even answered. Their phones and pagers are usually on a non sterile shelf/tray that a nurse tends to. And a nurse would usually only answer if the doc told her/him to. I don't usually call E when he's at the hospital. And we have a deal that he calls before he leaves the hospital. So if he hasn't called me then I know he is still at the hospital and not in some ditch on the side of the road. I did get a call from a nurse at 12:30 am last year on my 30th bday. E was still in surgery and looked up and noticed it was my bday and asked the nurse to call and wish me a happy birthday. Nice gesture, but it still gave me that "weird" vibe. There's just something about another woman calling you on behalf of your husband.

March 27, 2009 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Yeah, that would be weird. I think I would rather wait and talk to my hubby than talk to some strange woman.

March 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Good luck selling your home. We lived in Michigan for almost a solid year before our home in Arkansas was sold. I understand how stressful that can be!

And truth be told, I have NO IDEA what I would have done if a woman answered my husband's phone!

March 27, 2009 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

This happened a couple of times to me when my husband was in residency. I don't remember why I called him, but I remember being very weirded out when the female nurse answered his cell phone! I figured out what was going on pretty quickly, but still. Apparently, he was doing some sort of surgery. I even remember being able to hear his voice in the background giving his answer to the nurse to be repeated back to me! I think I tried to make certain I didn't call him when he was supposed to be in surgery, again. Back in October, we finally added text messaging to our cell phone plan. It makes such a difference in how we stay in touch, now, and I don't know why we didn't do it when he was in residency! Good luck on selling your house.

March 27, 2009 at 11:02 PM  
Blogger Melisa said...

I would have caught on a lot faster if it hadn't been at 11 pm when he wasn't even on call. That is why I don't call him during the day! haha!

March 27, 2009 at 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My recommendation to any of you...tell your husband to have the nurses answer his phone professionally--such as: Dr. _____'s phone...or something.

I haven't had a nurse answer, but I have had them call me back. Now I am lucky if I get a callback hours after calling and paging. His schedule is hectic and if he is in surgery, I don't get calls back often. I have to list on my emergency number to leave callback + 911 or they won't get a call back from him.

Ahh....I feel your pain.

March 28, 2009 at 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home