<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://doctorswives.org

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lives of Doctor Wives: One Week Down, a Lifetime to Go

Monday, August 25, 2014

One Week Down, a Lifetime to Go

It seems I have graduated. I am no longer the wife of a pre-med, but the wife of a med student. Though it might have been the shortest step in this whole process, it somehow feels the most significant. After all, what's the point of all that pre-med torture if it doesn't eventually lead to the actual med part?

Today I went back and read the very first 'Pre-Med Perspective' post that I ever contributed for LDW. In that post, A New Beginning, I told you about three lessons I had already learned throughout the pre-med process. Imagine my shock and awe when I realized that those three things still apply today. (I had hoped to be a little wiser a year later, but alas...) Being that I find myself at yet another beginning, the refresher was much needed. Exactly one week into MS1 and I am already reminding myself to:
  • Be flexible 
  • Don't lose your identity
  • Let go of anxiety 
All easier said than done, of course, but still so relevant today. These tips may become even more relevant as time progresses and pressure mounts. In one week, I surmised that flexibility is imperative as I try to adjust to this new normal...a life that doesn't feel very 'normal' at all. All of a sudden, I also have more time than ever to work on my own identity. What else am I going to do while DrH studies? I mean, other than serve as the breadwinner/housekeeper/laundromat/chef. Ha! And lastly, looking back on our pre-med journey, I realized that everything turned out exactly the way we wanted it too...what was I so worried about?

Life lessons aside, my favorite moment of our new beginning thus far occurred during the White Coat Ceremony. As my husband and his classmates proudly donned their crisp white coats and recited the Hippocratic Oath aloud, tears welled up in my eyes. Not only because I am so, SO proud of DrH but also because of the gravity of the words. It was a poignant realization that the end goal here is not to graduate with honors or get a residency in a desired specialty or location, but that this endeavor is about dedicating a lifetime to serving others through medicine. No matter how many lessons we must learn to get through this, it goes so much deeper than the next four years. A lifetime...that is what we are building.

And what a fun life it's going to be.

Natalie
visit my personal blog at thehappyredhead.com





Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home