<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://doctorswives.org

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lives of Doctor Wives: The "Blind Carlos Years"

Monday, April 19, 2010

The "Blind Carlos Years"

PGY2. Second year outside of Loan Utopia. Everyone has their own “spouse in medicine stresses.” Mine is money. When I can’t make ends meet I start freaking out. This year has been the hardest for us. (Two moves and a higher cost of living in FL)

There is little for us to do in North Carolina right now while Dr.H is on a month rotation here, so we got a temp membership at the Y. The Yoga instructor told me I needed to take off my socks. To my shame I revealed toenails that had not been pedicured since my mother came to town in January!

That was it. DARN the $10 for a polish change! It had to be done. Enough is enough. So what I overdrew my bank account?

I had to take up coloring my own locks, as do most other resident spouses, but reached an all-time new low this week: I cut my own hair.

I was already overdrawn for the polish change and the mane was beginning to resemble a Christmas tree. How am I supposed to compete with all the hot nurses out there when I can’t even afford a haircut or polish change?!?!

So, I didn’t trim my hair; it was beyond that. I cut it. I tried to put in layers and everything. I was a nervous wreck the whole time! I think it looks better than when I started, but not totally sure.

Anyone watch Desperate Housewives? You know during Carlos’ blind years; when they are poor and Gabby wears crap clothes, drug store make up, has one pair of shoes, and is just trying to make things work?

I totally feel just like that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Melisa said...

You crack me up, girl! I hear ya! The last time I paid for a pedicure? August of '08. Sigh... I should have put more thought into the higher cost of living thing before moving to Philly. Ugh.

April 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger Melisa said...

P.S. Do we get to see pictures? :o)

April 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger Elle said...

Girl... I love this post for so many reasons... I love it because you're honest about everything, and I love it that you call them the loan utopia years.... when I was in undergrad and I was working three jobs to pay for school and going to school full time, I resorted to cutting my own hair, layers and all... it wasn't the best hair cut ever, but it worked, and as long as I curled it you couldn't tell it was uneven!

Sorry you overdrew your account that stinks... but I've totally been there and sometimes the unwise financial decision is the one you need to make to keep yourself sane for the moment!

April 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Hehe, sorry! Congrats on cutting your own hair, I'm sure it's cute! I cut all the boys hair in my house, Grant has never been to a store to get his hair cut and he is three. I think it's great that you are coming up with cost effective ways to deal with needs and wants! I think it's funny that you called it "drug store make-up" - I've never bought anything but what they carry at Wal-Mart. Great job on being frugal!

April 19, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home