<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://doctorswives.org

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lives of Doctor Wives: Decisions!

Friday, November 20, 2009

Decisions!

Seven more months left in the fellowship and it looks like my husband and I have narrowed the job choice down to two places. Frankly, I'm kind of nervous for the upcoming decision. A part of me is so excited to finally have a hand in the decision of where we are going to be, but the other side of me wants no part in this. Can you tell I have commitment issues? :)
One of our final choices is the place where I grew up. The program is pretty decent and most of my friends and family are there. I feel very comfortable there and love the idea of having people around to watch my girls when I need them. The other place is a better program, and would be better for my husband's career. I visited this place over the weekend and I have to say I liked it.
What would (did) you do in this situation? Would you choose the job with nearby family and a decent program? Or the nice, mysterious place with the better program? Both jobs will pay about the same.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger SeekerofGrace said...

Tough call... Personally, I would probably go with the better program, though. Hope you make the decision that's right for you! Good luck!

November 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger Cheri said...

I would take the job near your family. Your kids/future kids can become close to their relatives!

November 20, 2009 at 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Julie said...

If you have kids or plan on having them I would stay by your family.You are going to need them once he starts working. Good luck!

November 20, 2009 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 20, 2009 at 6:46 PM  
Blogger MorrowFamily said...

I personally would take the job by your family as well. That's our plan when we're done with residency so that our kids can grow up with having grandparents nearby and also so we can be close by as our parents start to age etc. Good luck!

November 21, 2009 at 7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Family. We would love the opportunity to live near our family.

November 21, 2009 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Melisa said...

We chose opportunity. It is hard to be away from family, but it is only for a few years and then we will have more opportunities to be close to them.

November 21, 2009 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

definitely the nice, mysterious place!!! I can't think of anything more exciting than embarking on a new life with my husband and children. especially if it is the better program also. just a thought. good luck!

November 22, 2009 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Melisa said...

Oooo, I just reread. You are doing the job thing already. Lucky. ;o) Then I'd go to family. Residency is temporary. I thought I'd hate Philly but I LOVE it here. Still can't wait to move closer to family though...

November 22, 2009 at 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like this new place and it is more prestigous go for it. It will pay of in the end. You've been through the worst- if this place is comfortable and nice- why not start fresh?

November 22, 2009 at 3:55 PM  
Blogger Timani said...

Without knowing how long you've been on the medical trail (if you joined in before med school, during med school or during residency) my initial thought was 'how much do you have to sacrifice?' If you really want to be near family, this might be the perfect opportunity for you to enjoy his career with the support of family and friends.

November 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks everyone! You have definitely given me some things to think about. In regard to the last comment, I met my husband during his intern year, which means it has been 7 years now. I know I haven't had to sacrifice as much as most of you have (or will).
We are still in the decision process and probably will be for a little while longer. It is definitely not easy and I have to say I envy those of you who know exactly where you want to end up! For those of you who don't, it is never to early to start talking about it.

November 29, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home