<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://doctorswives.org

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lives of Doctor Wives: Hello Daphne

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hello Daphne

Hello! My name is Daphne and I am happy to be a part of this awesome blog. What a blessing to have other ladies to talk to that completely understand what it means to be married to a dr. Quick thanks to Jennilee for informing me about this site!

I have been married over six years now to my husband who is a PGY5 in orthopedic surgery @ Loma Linda University Med Center. We met and began dating before he was accepted into medical school. I was in washington while he started med school @ Loma Linda in CA. It was a trying 2-year long distance relationship. We would often times go for 8-weeks without seeing eachother, but I think it made our relationship that much stronger. In June of 2003 I turned 22, graduated from SPU and got married, all within a week. I had no clue what life would be like, but I was happy to finally share it with my husband. The past six years have definitely been a time of learning and compromising for me. It has by no means been an easy road, but not one that I wouldn't change either. With time my husband and I have learned to make this anything but ordinary life work and I have learned to adapt (slowly at times) to whatever rotations, upcoming tests, conferences, calls, etc. may come our way. I think I have found comfort knowing that even the worst rotation never stayed constant, there was always a light at the end of the tunnel (not always so bright, but better).

We have two precious little girls. Ella is 3 1/2 and is just like her daddy. Chloe is 17 months and is quite the momma's girl. Both have learned to adjust to daddy's "work" schedule/lifestyle. I am currently a stay @ home mom with them. Ella was born during internship year which forced me to become more independent and learn that I had to do it (all the things that come with being a mom and running a household) by myself, or it just simply would not get done. I can appreciate that now, but at the time it was extremely frustrating! It still is a learning process every single day for both me and my girls, but we make it work thanks to our Faith in God and our incredible family and friends!!

My husband will be completing his residency in July of 2010 and will go on to do a one year fellowship in upper extremity/hand at USC.
I am looking forward to sharing this journey with you all and excited to see where it will take us!

Daphne

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Brittany said...

Welcome!! It's so good to hear your story because my husband I were like the two of you - we had to endure a lot of time apart. It definitely does make you a stronger couple. I look forward to seeing you "around". :)

August 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Hi Daphne! My husband and I were also long-distance during college, and we realize now that this was one of the many ways God prepared us for taking a short amount of time and making the most of it. That lesson has served us very well in 13 years of medical marriage!

So glad you've joined us!

August 19, 2009 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Melisa said...

Hey there! Welcome!

August 19, 2009 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger SeekerofGrace said...

Hi Daphne! My dh and I also were in a LDR until we got married. It made us stronger and I think made living together as a married couple all the more enjoyable. I treasure those years before medical school...

It's great to have you here!

August 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger daphne said...

thank you everyone for your comments! I look forward to getting to know you all better through this awesome blog. hope that we can all be of support/help to eachother :)

August 20, 2009 at 12:06 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dawkter said...

Welcome and nice to meet you!

August 20, 2009 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

Hi Daphne! I haven't had to do the long-distance relationship thing, but I am in awe of anyone who makes it work.

August 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger davita said...

Welcome Daphne! My husband will be applying for upper extremity/hand fellowships next year. Was the fellowship app process as stressful as applying for residency?

August 20, 2009 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome, Daphne! Long-distance is rough...glad to hear you guys survived and are happy married.

August 20, 2009 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger daphne said...

Made in Taiwan,

The app process was not as stressful to us as it was during the entire application process to residency. Following reasons for me personally: 1) Greater need for hand surgeons gave us a likely chance that he would match at least somewhere 2) He only applied to places that we as a family would actually tolerate/want to live 3) If he didn't match, he still could do general ortho. Applying for residency into ortho was extremely stressful due to its competitiveness and the what if's if he had not matched. Match for fellowship just felt more laid back overall for us :) Hope that helps!!

August 20, 2009 at 5:36 PM  
Blogger JLee said...

Hey girl! So glad to see you finally made it here :) Hope we can get the kids together sometime soon!

August 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM  
Blogger davita said...

Thanks for your input Daphne. I will be interested to "watch" your fellowship experience next year. USC is one of the places DH is considering for fellowship. He grew up in Southern CA and grew up with the kids of a couple of orthopods affiliated with USC. His mother is also a nurse at CHLA which is affiliated with them. I grew up in Northern CA and am not a fan of So Cal and it's COL. We have 3 children (2 during med school).

This might be too personal, but was the applications for fellowship as costly as residency? Thanks! Davita

August 20, 2009 at 9:02 PM  
Blogger Marv Loucks said...

Daphne,
I would lvoe to pick your brain sometime about residency! My husband is starting applications (submitting them in about 10 days) in orthopedic Surgery! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the program you were in, and how it was overall!

August 21, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home