<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://doctorswives.org

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lives of Doctor Wives: Glad you are here Laura!!

Monday, May 10, 2010

Glad you are here Laura!!

Hi! I am Laura. I am a mother of three, tutor, and a doctor wife. My husband, Ben, is in his third year of an orthopedic surgery residency. We have been going through an extremely difficult time recently because his residency program did not get accredited for this next residency year. We found out a little over 7 months ago that we had to find a new residency program to take us for the last two years of his residency. It has been just one more thing to struggle with during an already hard time. We have a home to sell and more debt to accrue with moving costs. Luckily we found a residency program that we are thrilled about going to, but we wish more so that this had never happened in the first place. We will be moving to Pittsburgh in little over a month to complete his last two years at AGH. It is much harder moving in the middle of residency than at the end of medical school. We have a house to sell that isn't selling, we have had to find money to pay for the interviews that he had to do to get into a new residency, we have to move without any relocation loans, and we have to do all this without any time off. In fact my husband has been told by the new residency to be there or orientation by the second week of June, while our current residency told him he is not allowed to leave until the last day of June. Anyway, I have been feeling down on my luck and today I have boiled over into a depressed state. I have resisted posting a hello for some reason, but today I feel so alone in my struggles that I felt a need to reach out. Any of you in Pittsburgh? I am sure none of you have dealt with a closed down residency program -- it is so rare, but if you have -- do you have any advise? I do blog at benandlaura.blogspot.com and I am hoping to meet some friends through this doctor wives blog. Thanks for a listening ear.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger davita said...

Welcome! My husband is also a PGY3 in ortho and we have three kids. I hope that you guys have a smooth transition. Davita

May 10, 2010 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger Melisa said...

Oh, Laura. I'm so sorry. That sounds so rough. It is hard enough changing programs on a voluntary basis, I can only imagine how much harder a forced change is. I'm in Philly. I know it isn't very close to Pittsburgh, but if you ever get out this way, I'd love to do lunch or something. :o) Hang in there!

May 10, 2010 at 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{{{hugs}}}} to you. That sounds incredibly difficult. Feeling displaced is the absolute worst. Only advice I have is once you feel settled think about seeing a therapist. It can work wonders with depression, believe me!

May 11, 2010 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger TheFamousStacie said...

Oh it is such a challenge moving during residency. We just changed programs a couple of months ago and are in the same situation with a house we are stuck with that wouldn't sell. Extra expenses, moved to a high cost of living place, uggg..
oh the debt....
we a have 3 kiddos.

May 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

That does sound awful. You should win a prize or something! Good luck.

May 14, 2010 at 1:21 AM  
Blogger I am Laura said...

Thanks for the welcome. I wrote that on a down day. Things will be ok around here. I am just mad that his program didn't get accredited. I am excited to go to Pittsburgh. The more I look into it, the happier I am. I hope our house sells and feel confident that in 10 years this won't be as big of a deal as I am making it out to be today. Love this blog and the support I feel. Thanks.

May 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home